An error occurred

Please try refreshing the page, otherwise try again later. If the problem persists, contact

Skip to Content (Press Enter)



If you become ill during your studies

If you need to consult a doctor, district nurse or physiotherapist, or if you require any other form of support, you should contact one of your local care providers. Here we present a range of suggestions for healthcare functions that may be able to help you. If you are unsure about whom to contact, we at the Student Health Service are here to help.

Seeking healthcare

In the event of illness or injury, or if you have any questions concerning medication, your local healthcare centre should be your first point of contact. If your healthcare centre is closed, or if there are no telephone consultations available, you can speak to the public healthcare advice service by calling 1177. 

You can also visit the 1177 website for more information.

The Student Health Service can help you with non-urgent questions concerning which part of the healthcare service you should contact. 

In the event of a life-threatening illness or injury, always call 112.

Illness during your studies

If you should become ill or injure yourself and are no longer able to participate in your studies, you must register your illness with Försäkringskassan. Ideally, this should be done on your first day of illness. This will enable you to retain your loans and grants from CSN during your period of illness. CSN will also be able to take your illness into consideration when assessing your study results. Bear in mind that you will need to obtain a medical certificate from your doctor if you are ill for longer than 14 days.

Visit Försäkringskassan and CSN for more information about what applies to your particular illness or injury. On Försäkringskassan’s website, you can also find more information about the rules that apply to taking care of a sick child in conjunction with your studies.

If your illness affects your ability to take an exam or participate in mandatory elements of your course, please contact your course coordinator.

Accident insurance during your studies

Students at Swedish colleges or universities are covered by a personal injury insurance policy. This insurance is valid if you should become injured when travelling to or from your studies, or during school time. This insurance is free of charge to students.

Bear in mind that this insurance does not apply to your free time, and you may therefore need to arrange additional cover. More information is available on the Kammarkollegiet website. There, you can also find out more about supplementary insurance for international students in Sweden, and the rules that apply when studying in another country.


For psychological problems that require specialist care, you should contact the adult psychiatric outpatient clinic at Skaraborg Hospital. Here you can find information about opening hours, referrals, etc.

Clinic for young adults and obstetrics clinic

An ungdomsmottagning provides help for young adults (aged up to 25 years) with questions concerning contraception, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, etc. Contact the ungdomsmottagning in Skövde.

The barnmorskemottagning in Skövde is an obstetrics clinic, and will also be able to help with questions concerning (e.g.) contraception and testing for sexually transmitted diseases. This is also open to those aged over 25.

Students in the Västra Götaland region

Further information about where students can obtain healthcare or medical advice is available on the following website: Student i Västra Götaland (in Swedish).

Social support

If you require support with regard to (e.g.) your financial situation, substance abuse or domestic violence, you can find more information on Skövde Municipality’s website.

You are also welcome to contact the Student Health Service for advice.

Updated: 4/18/2023 5:49:23 PM
Published: 10/22/2020

Contact Student Health Service

For help with questions, advice and booking appointments, you can contact us by telephone or email. Consultations only take place by appointment.


Remember to not disclose any sensitive information or personal data in your emails. You do not need to state the reason why when booking an appointment with us.