An error occurred

Please try refreshing the page, otherwise try again later. If the problem persists, contact

Skip to Content (Press Enter)



Credit transfer

As a student you are entitled to apply to have credits transferred for previous courses and/or study programmes at the University of Skövde. This applies to both in Swedish and foreign courses and study programmes. You must be or have been registered to a course or study programme at the University of Skövde for your application to be assessed and it should always be linked to a specific course or degree at the University.

When should you apply for a credit transfer?

The purpose of credit transfer is to shorten the way to graduation. You should not have to study something that you already have adequate knowledge about. If you have finished a course in another Swedish university, you normally don't have to apply for a credit transfer. If the course is supposed to be included in the main field of a general or professional degree, you may need to apply for a credit transfer. A credit transfer is also required if the course, in which you consider yourself adequately educated in, is a part of your study programme and is a prerequisite for you to continue your education.

Before applying for transfer of credits, you should know the following

  • Credited education is not graded. If you transfer credit to parts of a course, any of the examinations that appear in the course syllabus, it may affect your final grade (for example VG or A) for the entire course.
  • A credit transfer during ongoing studies affects how many credits you study and can thus affect your right to study grants from CSN. You as a student are responsible for notifying any changes in your studies to CSN.
  • You can not include the same course twice in a degree, you can either include the course as the original course or as transfer credit in another course.

Apply for a credit transfer

You should always contact a Study and Career Counsellor if you plan on applying for a credit transfer. In some cases, the credit transfer is a quick and smooth process but there can be issues that makes the process time consuming. Information about the documents that should be included in your application can be found in the application form. Apply in Ladok for students or send your application to, as a scanned pdf-file.

Application for transfer of credits of Prior learning

When you are a student at the University of Skövde, there is also the opportunity to apply for credit transfer of prior learning. Prior learning can be knowledge and skills acquired through education, other than a higher education level, or skills and knowledge acquired while in a working environment. More information is available in the form Application for credit transfer and in the guidelines linked to the right (only in Swedish)

Who makes the decision about a credit transfer?

The degree evaluations officer makes the decision on an application for a credit transfer. You will be notified by Email or regular mail if your application has been approved. The decision is sent to the address given on the application. If your application is not approved, you will receive a refusal. This refusal can be appealed. The rules regarding a credit transfer can be found in Higher Education Ordinance (Högskoleförordningen, see link to the right) chapter 6, § 6-8 SFS 1993:100.

Updated: 7/5/2024 9:53:44 AM
Published: 3/19/2020