An error occurred

Please try refreshing the page, otherwise try again later. If the problem persists, contact

Skip to Content (Press Enter)



Deferment of studies

If you have been admitted to an education programme and are prevented from beginning your studies, you can apply for a deferment.

Deferment of studies will only be granted if you meet any of the specific conditions stated in Universitets- och högskolerådets författningssamling,  UHRFS 2016:1 and Universitets- och högskolerådets författningssamling, UHRFS 2013:3. For example,

  • Illness or injury - submit medical certificate
  • Child birth and child care - Submit certificate from midwife with the estimated date of delivery. Submit certificate proving granted parental leave for the greater part of the semester. Is the child younger than one year submit certificate from Skatteverket certifying the age of the child and that you are the parent/legal guardian.
  • Military or civil service – Submit your draft card.
  • Full time employment – Submit certificate to prove your employer do not grant leave for studies.

Note that the appropriate authenticated documentation to prove your case must be submitted with the application!

The Application for deferment of studies can be submitted once the final admission result has been published.

If a deferment of studies is granted, the student keep his/her place in the programme and the starting date is postponed.

Fee-paying students must have paid the tuition fee before applying for deferment of studies. Note! A student visa is only valid during ongoing studies.

When you can start your studies

If we have granted you deferment of studies, you need to take the following steps to keep your place in the programme:

  • Apply to the programme via / and make sure that the application is submitted before the application deadline for the coming semester (April 15 for the autumn semester and October 15 for the spring semester)
  • A copy of our deferment decision must be submitted with your application before the application deadline.


Decisions regarding deferment of studies can be appealed to the Higher Appeals Board. Information on how to appeal a decision can be found in the Application Form.

Updated: 12/28/2023 11:15:29 AM
Published: 7/15/2022

Contact the Admissions Office

Phone hours Admission

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 10:00–11:30

Phone: 0500–448200